Mezzo soprano Hege Høisæter was born and raised in Bergen, Norway. She studied at the RNCM, Manchester, and at the Norwegian State Opera Academy.
Hege's main parts have included Cornelia (Julius Caesar - Händel), Carmen (Bizet), Gräfin Geschwitz (Lulu - Berg), Ottavia (Poppea - Monteverdi), Miss D (Maxwell-Davies), Sextus (Titus - Mozart), Waltraute (Götterdämmerung - Wagner) and Yocasta (Oedipus Rex - Stravinsky).
She has also been the leading lady in quite a few world premieres by composers such as Gisle Kverndokk, Glenn-Erik Haugland and Ole-Henrik Moe.
Hege has sung on many occasions with conductors such as Rinaldo Alessandrini, John Fiore and Alessandro de Marchi and she has also collaborated very successfully with instrumentalists such as Andjei Maevski (clarinet) and Vegar Anvik (piano) in creative chamber settings, and with other pianists including Torhild Fimreite and John Lidal in the lied and art song repertoire.
On numerous occasions her singing has been broadcast on national and international TV and radio and since 2009 she has been a frequent featured guest at The Casa dei Mezzo Chamber Music Festival, Makrigialos, Crete.
Hege received wonderful reviews for her leading role as Edith in a world premiere of Synne Skouen's Ballerina at The Norwegian Opera and Ballet, September 2017.
After having been a member of the soloist roster with the The Norwegian Opera and Ballet for 14 years, her career as a full time freelancer is now escalating. In September 2018 she returns to the The Norwegian Opera and Ballet as The Countess in Pique Dame (Tchaikovsky).
Hege will be performing in ALL of the four Ring Cycle Operas at the Gothenburg Opera 2018-2021; in the roles of Erda (both), a Valkyrie and the 1st Norne. Among other future plans is Maddalena (Rigoletto, Verdi) for The Kristiansund Opera in 2019, and a tailor-made Wagnerian opera project with the Arctic Philharmonic in 2020.
A LAWO Classics solo CD-recording consisting of Norwegian contemporary music, including several works written especially for Hege, is scheduled for release in 2019. Hege will also be joining the greatly successful Italian baroque ensemble Armoniosa on a CD recording in 2019.
Top photo by Erik Berg - Hege as the Duchess in "Queen of Spades", Norwegian Opera.
Photos: Katja (Joerg Wiesner), Carmen (Erik Berg), Salome (Erik Berg), ULysses Vender Hjem (Erik Berg)
- Bartok: Bluebeard's Castle (Judith)
- Berg: Lulu (Gräfin Geschwitz)
- Bizet: Carmen (Mercedes)
- Bizet: Carmen
- Britten: Noye's Fludde (Mrs Noah)
- Britten: Peter Grimes (Auntie)
- Cage: Singer in Europeras 3
- Händel: Title role in Xerxes
- Händel: Julius Caesar (Cornelia)
- Händel: Il trionfo del tempo e del disinganno (Disinganno)
- Haugland: Titlerole Rebekka
- Humperdinck: Hänsel und Gretel (Hänsel)
- Humperdinck: Hänsel und Gretel (Die Mutter)
- Hvoslef: The Clown (Barabbas)
- Janácek: Káta Kabanová (Kabanicha)
- Kverndokk: Fourth Nightwatch (Gunnhild)
- Kverndokk: Around the World in 80 Days (Fionula)
- Ligeti: Le Grand Macabre (Mescalina)
- Maxwell-Davies: Miss D (title role)
- Menotti: The Medium (Mrs Nolan)
- O-H.Moe: SHE (Blob 1 and 2)
- Monteverdi: L'incoronazione di Poppea (Ottavia)
- Monteverdi: Il ritorno d'Ulisse in patria (Penelope)
- Mozart: Ramiro (La Finta Giardiniera)
- Mozart: Die Zauberflöte (2nd & 3rd Lady)
- Mozart: Le nozze di Figaro (Cherubino)
- Mozart: La clemenza di Tito (Sextus)
- Osborne: The Electrification of the Soviet Union (Natasha)
- Stravinsky: The Rake's Progress (Baba)
- Poulenc: Les Dialogues des Carmelites (Old Prioress)
- Poulenc: La voix humaine
- Puccini: La Badessa + La suora zelatrice (Suor Angelica)
- Puccini: Mma Butterfly (Suzuki)
- Sciarrino: Infinito nero (one-woman piece)
- Shostakovich: Lady Macbeth of the Mtsensk District (Axinja)
- J.Strauss: Die Fliedermaus (Orlovsky)
- R.Strauss: Ariadne auf Naxos (Dryad)
- R. Strauss: Salome (Herodias)
- Stravinsky: Oedipus Rex (Jocaste)
- Tcaikovsky: The Queen of Spades (Polina/Vilovsor)
- Turnage: Twice Through the Heart (Woman)
- Verdi: Rigoletto (Maddalena)
- Verdi: Othello (Emilia)
- Rolf Wallin: Elysium (The Neighbour)
- Wagner: Siegfried (Erda)
- Wagner: Rheingold (Flosshilde)
- Wagner: Der Fliegende Holländer (Mary)
- Wagner: Götterdämmerung (Waltraute)
- Wagner: Die Walküre (Fricka)
- G.B. Pergolesi: Stabat Mater
- G.Fr.Händel: The Messiah
- G.Fr. Händel: Judas Maccabbeus
- J.S.Bach: Christmas Oratorio
- G.Rossini: Stabat Mater
- G.Rossini: Petite Messe Solennelle
- W.A. Mozart: Requiem
- M.Duruflé: Requiem
- F.Mendelssohn: Elijah
- F.Mendelssohn: Paulus
- A.Vivaldi: Gloria
- G.Verdi: Requiem
Works with orchestra:
- Haugland: Og holt læt seld sjels gal
- O.-H.Moe: Frauenliebe und Erlebnisse
- Ravel: Sheherazade
- Berlioz: Les nuits d'été (Summer Nights), Op. 7
- Berlioz: La mort de Cléopâtre. H36
- Brahms: Vier ernste Gesänge
- Elgar: Sea Pictures
- Korngold: 4 Abschiedslieder
- Nystöm: Sångar vid havet
- Ravel: Shéhérazade
- Schumann: Frauenliebe und Leben
- Wagner: Wesendonck-Lieder
Also songs by composers such as R.Strauss, Grieg, Sibelius, Schubert, Mozart, Wolf, Brahms, Britten, Weill, de Falla, etc.
Hege has successfully started to thoroughly explore the higher parts of her register and will be extending her repertoire with roles such as Elvira (Mozart -Don Giovanni), Eboli (Verdi - Don Carlo).
No cuts or alterations of any kind should be made to this biography without the consent of Hege Høisæter.
Hege Høisæter events
21 September 2018: The Queen of Spades – Norwegian Opera, Oslo, NO
23 September 2018: The Queen of Spades – Norwegian Opera, Oslo, NO
25 September 2018: The Queen of Spades – Norwegian Opera, Oslo, NO
17 November 2018: Das Rheingold - Erda – Gothenburg Opera, Sweden
21 November 2018: Das Rheingold - Erda – Gothenburg Opera, Sweden
25 November 2018: Das Rheingold - Erda – Gothenburg Opera, Sweden
29 November 2018: Das Rheingold - Erda – Gothenburg Opera, Sweden
2 December 2018: Das Rheingold - Erda – Gothenburg Opera, Sweden
5 December 2018: Das Rheingold - Erda – Gothenburg Opera, Sweden
7 December 2018: Das Rheingold - Erda – Gothenburg Opera, Sweden
9 December 2018: Das Rheingold - Erda – Gothenburg Opera, Sweden
Opera "Elysium" composed by Rolf Wallin with libretto by Mark Ravenhill directed by David Pountney. Norwegian Opera 2016
- As a member of the Norwegian Opera for 42 years, I've watched many singers, some since they left the Opera School. I was responsible for lighting them for years. One of them was Hege Høisæter. I mean she is the most versatile opera singer I've ever seen. She mastered all roles with bravura.
- Gretar Sveinbjørnsson - Lighting designer